Sunday, May 8, 2011

Figure Out What You Want and Learn How to Ask for It




I heard someone say this quote today. It struck a cord. It relates to anything - career, wealth, relationships, athletic goals, the list is endless. It was in the context of answering "if you had one piece of advice to give someone, what would it be?" The reply was simple, "Figure out what you want and learn how to ask for it."

For some people, myself included, it's a hard thing to do. Ask for help. Ask for what you want. Put your self first. Fulfill your needs. Be clear about what you want. We are notoriously putting ourselves last in line, second guessing our abilities or our value as individuals. It shouldn't be so. Not because we should all be selfishly thinking of ourselves before others but rather so that when we are authentic, confident and clear on who we are, we can better serve and help others as siblings, partners, parents, friends and work colleagues. I find this insight a powerful reminder and clear the way for positive thoughts and human potential.

My feeling confident and energized in and for sport is a living entity in my life. I yearn for days when energy supply for the demand is ample and the mental focus is sharp and unwavering. When my mind forgets the unanswered emails, laundry to be folded or promises to follow through on, a breakthrough workout inevitably takes place. Amazingly, I return to work, life and responsibilities with more clarity and calmness. There is no magic formula for when and how those moments arise but I'm pretty sure they revolve around times when I am rested, well nourished and have recently shared good times with friends and family. Sunshine doesn't hurt either...

There are a few people in my life that are role models for living a life on purpose because they simply know what they want and are going after it. I welcome their vibrancy and company. On the flip side, I want to send this message to a few others that could be bubbling over with potential and opportunity yet are choosing to build barriers and resentments. May this same message get to them someway, somehow. Figure Out What You Want and Learn How to Ask for It.

1 comment:

  1. What a great post! It makes me cringe every time I hear a person rationalize that they don't have the energy to workout. You have a teriffic blog.

    http://thetriathlonjunkie.com/

    ReplyDelete