Saturday, May 14, 2011

release the brake

Jasper Blake, my coach and mentor, emailed me yesterday as I ready myself for the Oliver Olympic Distance Triathlon on May 15th. He says, "racing is about releasing the brakes and red lining your effort." Racing is supposed to hurt - candy pain I call it or just another way to say, Let It All Hang Out.

What's amazing is that our bodies do what we tell it to. If we say to ourselves go for it, we always do. If we say, take it easy, we always do. Sometimes when en route to a quality session or key event, I wonder with uncertainty if I can muster energy to reach the upper levels of my fitness. Unless suffering from a virus or under very unusual circumstances, I always find the power, strength and effort. When the session or race is over, I often pause for a moment to remind myself that my fitness and ability was there all along. Our bodies are amazing machines when we let go and let it happen with the mind engaged and the heart's soaring passion.

Tomorrow's race will bring out fitness, endurance, strength, speed and fun. Whether swimming in the lake (just shy of glacial temperatures), pumping the legs past glorious vineyards or jaunting through the back roads of Oliver's neighbourhood, the brakes will be off and the uncomfortable effort will dissipate when all is said and done.

No comments:

Post a Comment