Friday, April 22, 2011

The Indoor Thing



It's almost Spring outside and yet I still find myself rolling into my garage for a few quality hours on my computrainer. Since I am a fairly social being, I am quite certain this practice is not to hide away and train solo staring endless at concrete and a computer screen but rather to get the job done. It won't be long before I am hitting the sea 2 ski highway and cypress mountain with friends but right now I feel the need for focused workouts eliminating the chance of traffic jams, red lights or fowl weather.






Is there a benefit to staying indoors verses outdoors? Maybe but as long as the list is for positives, there is a list of negatives. It's a personal thing right now. The indoor thing is working for me. Maybe the efficiency of being indoors and close to the action is what I need as I find myself more and more engaged in my family business, Sunice. Maybe I like to be available. Maybe I like to be accessible.






I have outfitted my training space with towels, my ipod (loaded with great podcasts and music), water bottles and a workout. For X time, it is my sanctuary to focus on building my engine and revving my heart rate. I have even taken my running indoors. Treadmills give me feedback and consistency. There is no cheating or deviating from the stride. With a plan in hand, I start up the belt and get the feet turning over.






With all of this focused training, I balance it with outdoor spins and jaunts, playful and recovery in nature. The outdoors is where I am most free and alive. Fresh air and blue sky takes me to another level of gratitude. But the indoors is where I find my focus and mental stamina. It is where I zone in on the task, the effort and the sensation. It is where the work gets done.



Maybe someday I will purely ride for pleasure. Right now, there is pleasure plus specific goals and the indoor thing is working for me. Take it or leave it.

No comments:

Post a Comment