Friday, June 7, 2013

The Why

A few weeks ago I had lunch with a friend, Shira McDermott, at Heirloom, a vegetarian cafe favourite amongst the locals. I had initiated our get-together since following her extraordinary blog In Pursuit of More (Living with Just A Little Less) with intent and curiosity.  Shira works a full time job for JJ Bean as well as mothers two amazing girls and is married to Tim McDermott, a member of the clan now riding in the Dolomites for 8 days. Lets just say, Shira lives a full life. But maybe more full of abundance instead of full of insanity? 

 What is In Pursuit Of More?

"The blog about living with (just a little) less. By going without, we can gain - by giving to those who have less. Want to make a change in your eating habits for the better? Imagine how you can turn that into something positive for those who would otherwise go hungry. Go without so others don't have to. That's living with (just a little) less."

My interest in Shira's recipes (so delish), her authentic approach to simplicity, how she opts for quality over quantity and her willingness to share freely and openly with others struck a precious cord in me and I wanted to explore this further.  Much of what Shira writes about parallels how I feel about my own goals in sports and triathlon whilst juggling other important responsibilities such as my career and friendships. How does one dial in on quality, prioritize and live with passion while turning down the volume just a little?  My question to Shira was not only HOW she does it but WHY she does it?
 
Of late I have been noticing that my meal time and food preparation (and food quality) were suffering. In a haste, I opt to shop when convenient (spend more at something close and quick), select mediocre produce, prepare dull, quick and tasteless meals while finishing up work at my laptop without even enjoying the oversteamed broccoli.  In Pursuit of More showcases (with glorious photographs!!) locally grown produce prepared simply and delectably for even the lamest of chefs out there.  Reading her past blogs and recipe posts (and fantastic quotes mixed in) caused me to pause and reconsider not only my food prep but also the rhythm of my life, training and relationships.

Clearly passion and a sense of fulfillment fuels Shira every time she posts another recipe or leads another cooking class for her spun-off charity Not So Fast. And so authentic is her passion that her efforts do not feel like a chore. Rather it feels purposeful. The glimmer in her eye says it all. That's her WHY 

And so, thanks to Shira, I am attempting to live with a little less but gain a little more.  I find myself testing new recipes (although repeating the ones I love), shopping for local, quality and wholesomeness (even using cream in my JJ Bean coffee!) and spending more time doing what I love a little more and less time doing what I don't.  

Shira has figured out her Why. What about your Why? Why do we do what we do? More personally, why do I do triathlon with such intent and focus? Why do I yearn to step on the start line with nerves rattling and all the logistics to get there? Why do I train hard every week and seemingly suffer with intensity and often fatigue? Why do I lap up every scientific article about fueling, heart rate, wattage and aerodynamic gear? 

Many of these questions slapped me harder when my soul mate Steph Corker got a lil' injury during a run workout.  Steph and I are almost like sisters now. We have carbon copy race goals, rent a place in Whistler together (The Coop Cabin), train together when we can, share our secrets with each other, drive the same cars, eat the same food, and can't wait for a kick set in swimming so we can chat, giggle and drive Coach Kelly mad ("If you girls would just stop talking..."). In fact we finish each others sentences. Her win is my win and vis versa.  This lil' mishap took her out of racing the Oliver Half Ironman. A race we planned on travelling to and doing together. And she is also sidelined for Mont Tremblant 70.3 on June 23rd. Ditto on the travel plans. We are both optimistically gutted. It doesn't matter what her injury is, it's gonna heal and she is soon to be back on the horse. What matters is The Why? Why does she keep going? Why do I keep going?  Why do we all keep going? 

As I drove solo to Oliver for the race, I begun to answer these questions for myself (cuz without Steph, it just wasn't gonna be as much fun!). I wanted to be clear with my self why I was hauling all my gear, driving 5 hours, staying in a crappy motel and sacrificing time with friends. Sound like a pity party unfolding? In fact the reverse...

Once clarity struck, here is what was uncovered:
  • The Line. I live and thrive on putting myself on the line to see what there is to give.  In the case of racing, that line is a start line. In the case of life, that line is when every day begins.
  • The Tipping Point. Training purposefully and racing forces me to balance on the edge and challenges me to do it. This tipping point, as I see it, is energizing and exciting. Who doesn't love excitement?
  • The Education. I learn, boy do I learn, about other people, integrity, values, self respect, respect for others and camaraderie. Sometimes I fail to live up to my own standards of character with a sense of healthy competitiveness and sometimes I surpass them. Either way, I learn.With every training session and race, a sense of gratification, completion and fulfillment sets in. Good or bad, this is fact and for the moment, its working for me. Maybe someday, I'll turn to knitting, gardening, yoga or nothing for the same experience.
  • The People. Maybe I should have started with this one but the people I meet from all over the world and from one street away fill me with more motivation than anything. I look forward to group training sessions for the exchange and interconnectedness. I look forward to bringing out the best of each other because we are together. When we are all spent, tired or low on glycogen, our true character comes out. If lucky enough to carry those people home (and vis versa) you are forever bonded. Bike-bonding is the best. #teamwork
  • The Energy. I got energy to burn. Yup, since I was a kid, I couldn't sit still. Sport is a channel for all of it and more...
  • The Potential. I believe that we all have excessive amounts of untapped potential. How close can we get to our potential? How much is mental vs. physical vs. nutritional vs. genetical?  I dunno but am damn curious to keep tapping on the door.

My Why Words: Challenge, Improvement, Toughness, Execution, Success, Control, Effort, Rhythmical, Discipline, Commitment, Passion.

 

The Why is different for everyone. Knowing your Why is important for many reasons but mainly to ensure you are training and racing (or whatever it is you choose to do with your precious time) from your heart and can articulate your reasons to your own self. No one else needs an explanation.

I raced in honor of Steph last Sunday and won.  Even sweeter was the victory thanks to my Why clarity and knowing this win was as much hers as it was mine.
 



For inspiration, I invite you to visit In Pursuit of More and Steph's Dreams With A Deadline.

I would love to hear about your Why.

Christine

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment