Sunday, May 2, 2010

Free Speed - May 1st, 2010

My massage therapist believes we carry our “stuff” in our bodies: hips, shoulders, jaw, stomach and ankles. I admit that she has the uncanny ability to ask seemingly unrelated yet accurate questions to the fairly straightforward reason why I am visiting her. “How’s your communication with others these days?” or “Is there something you are not talking about with a loved one?” Is she suggesting that I am controlling my life by thrusting my shoulders up to my ears, clenching my jaw and holding my torso taut, which inevitably results in compensations elsewhere? Am I working through any emotional crisis with my hamstring glute attachment? Perhaps, but surely my muscles are not only tight because of unresolved emotional issues in my life. Surely my weekly training hours have something to do with the restriction in my hips. Surely.

It’s like when my yoga instructor is twisted into a pretzel, breathing calmly and giving methodical instructions to follow suit, I think to myself, “Now there’s a demonstration of authentic control and true freedom with mind and body.” My next thought (isn’t my mind supposed to be quiet?) shifts to the diligent practice she maintains on a daily or hourly basis, leading to body awareness, serenity, freedom and power…traits we all aspire to embody. Interestingly, to possess such admirable traits doesn’t cost a dime. It’s free.

Where is this all going? Allow me to explain. Of late, I have been exploring how to gain more flexibility in my body (and hopefully my mind) so that I can tap into a wider range of motion and carry on in life with a poised posture and long healthy limbs. My body (or is it my mind?) likes to hold tension in the front of my shoulders and chest area (pectoral muscles), my hip flexors, my hamstrings and my glutes (actually it is my piriformis but who needs technical terms?). During infrequent moments of muscular release I experience newfound freedom and what I call “free speed” in swimming, biking, running and in life. It is no different than when we watch children play. We admire their multi-directional freedom and Gumby-like agility. They can butt kick like no adult I know. Maybe this level of nimbleness will never return in its entirety but we can certainly improve flexibility, range of motion and reach with functional practice.

With my new focus on Half Ironman distance, I need more speed to be competitive with the pro field. Girls are running low 1:20’s off the bike and closing the gap on many pro men. My coach, Paul Cross, has astutely reduced the density in my workouts and increased the emphasis on speed, strength and quality efforts to address this need. Long gone are the 6-hour LSD bike rides with a 45-minute run, thick swim workouts and diesel engine runs. Instead, you will find me working the 50’s in the pool with some drills before and after, hammering out short stints of 15 seconds to 10 minutes on my computrainer (in my garage) or at the track learning how to execute a few fast 400’s.

Racing is often the best way to tap into our upper effort levels and gain a step up in fitness. Upping my fitness is always something I will look for. As luck would have it, my schedule allowed me to jump into in a half marathon race in Montreal, Quebec (April 19th) as well as a Sprint Triathlon in Delta, BC on (April 24th) for quality speed sessions. My half marathon was two minutes off my PR with a time of 1:25 and first-place finish in my division. The Sprint Triathlon was also a success with an overall win. Both experiences had me working uncomfortably hard and inspired me to ponder the concept “Free Speed.” It may sound like a short cut but once you understand the concept, it is the smartest way to get faster.

No one better to bring this up with than Coach Paul Cross (PC). PC and I discussed “Free Speed” at length, what exactly the term meant and whether it was a worthy pursuit. We know that my training will continue to focus on upper threshold workouts and develop new energy systems, neither of which is “free.” In fact, training in and of itself is costly in terms of recovery, fatigue, time and effort. So, where else do we go for low-cost gains? Where does Free Speed come from? Likely many places but in my case, Efficiency in Form & Equipment Fit & Function.

Efficiency in Form. Could it be that efficient form equates to a more powerful movement pattern? Could it be that efficient form requires flexibility, range of motion and body awareness? Does this mean we need to slow down to learn form in order to speed up once habituated? Could it be that when fitness and form come together, we gain “Free Speed”? Who knew? Free speed doesn’t come from fitness, it comes from efficiency in form. As we move through our activities with less energy demand, we will eventually move faster after practice and integration. We use gravity and our amazing levers to execute a movement pattern that is sleek and functional.

Equipment Fit & Function. In triathlon, the bike leg can make or break your race. It is typically the longest segment of the race and also sets us up for the run. Being at one with the bike is critical. Being positioned comfortably with optimal angles, heights, bends and reach is essential for your bike and run legs. Optimal positioning on the bike definitely equates to “Free Speed.” Again, no fitness gains required.

The Free Speed Execution Plan

In order to put these revelations into practice, PC and I are devising a Free Speed Execution Plan. For starters we are meeting at the track on a weekly basis for some drill work and video analysis. We are fine-tuning my “lean,” knee drive, toe-off and arm swing. Did you know that a proper lean in running is free speed? Did you know that having your elbows at 90 degrees or less is free speed? The list goes on and on.

We are also spending endless hours in my garage tweaking my bike fit for maximum power recruitment coupled with optimal comfort and aerodynamics. We discovered a small shift in saddle height (up) and aft adjustment resulted in dramatic output gains. We shortened the reach to the aero bars, which reduced tension in my arms and upper back. Any newbie would know this equals Free Speed.

I’ll share a link to a video analysis of my run and PC’s comments.
http://www.upmygame.com/watchv/3546/0/

In an email to me, PC writes: “you need more hip flexor range of motion... which... affects the forward swing phase... which affects your angle of attack... which affects your foot strike and makes you have a heel strike...as a result...you're running as a quad dominant runner... rather than really using your hamstrings and gluts to their full potential...” As I pulled myself out of the gutter, he writes “don't get me wrong...you are running great now compared to where you were...and that's all we can ask really...I think most of these gains have come from fitness and training... perhaps 70%... and the other 30% from improved technique/form...so it's actually good news...because you have a good amount of potential to still go in terms of your form...” Phew. I was almost over the edge. And I know that all the little tweaks in form and function are free speed.

Who doesn’t like free stuff?

This is an exciting phase in my athletic career with gratifying workouts and recorded fitness gains. The Free Speed tweaks will not be the only reason for any further progress in my fitness but it’s nice to have a few deposits for just showing up.

Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment