Saturday, July 25, 2009

Curious from Lake Placid, NY

CAF, Pensive & Calm & Curious

It’s only a few short hours before the cannon blows of the 11th annual Ironman Lake Placid. My mom and I have been perched in the Maple Leaf Motel Inn since Monday preparing for race day. Thousands of other athletes occupy the town in anticipation of one of the largest Ironman events on the circuit. From what I hear, over 2,000 athletes will be starting at 7:00 a.m. on Sunday, July 26th.

Lake Placid is a resort town located 2.5 hours south of Montreal in the State of New York. The Olympic Games were held here in 1932 and 1980. In fact, the finish line is set along the track of the Olympic Speed Skating Oval where Eric Heiden won his five Olympic gold medals. The swim takes place in Mirror Lake, a narrow and protected lake that runs parallel to the Village centre. Under the water is a cable that lines the IM swim course. If lucky enough to be close to the cable sighting is completely unnecessary. From what I hear, this cable is for the rowers that frequently train in Mirror Lake. It seems like sporting history and inspiration is at the heart of the event.

There have definitely been some adjustments in my approach to this race. My sense is these shifts happened organically and perhaps due to the fact that I’ll soon be starting my sixteenth Ironman. Feelings of excitement and thrill are rarely dulled despite my veteran status on a start line but this time a sense of curiosity for what the day will bring and a willingness to go with it. Of course, my plan is to execute a stellar race and give everything stored up inside but if something unforeseen comes my way, I am curious how things will play out. It could be anything from a crazy thunderstorm to running down the race leader. My emotions are very much “in check” and my mindset is one of confidence and ease. My job tomorrow is simply to execute my race and pay attention to the little signals, both internal and external.

I have fallen in love with Lake Placid, the lakes, the roads, the views, the sporting venues, and quaintness of our little motel. Race day already feels like it will be over too soon. It is my intention to soak up the experience as best as I can and finish strong, satisfied, and solid. I am as curious as the next guy to find out how things will unfold.

Stay Tuned.
C

No comments:

Post a Comment