Monday, October 1, 2007

My Perfect Race - Ironman Hawaii, Kona 2007



Less than 2 weeks until Ironman Hawaii and my sixth time back to the Big Island to toe the start line. Having finished Ironman Canada a mere five weeks ago, it’s been a quick build to longer workouts while also making sure my body is well recovered and ready for another test of endurance. It took a good two weeks to settle my body and emotions after Ironman Canada. I was almost unrecognizable due to the edema in my face, hands, knees and ankles so I stayed low profile for as long as I could. After some long sleeps and well deserved hot fudge Sunday’s, I started back with some base training miles. Fortunately, I had company for most of the early sessions so it was most enjoyable.

Ironman Canada taught me so much about the importance of planned nutrition and the tape recorder that plays over and over in my head. And I knew then, as much as I know now, I will plan to never repeat a day like that again. Yes, I am thankful for having the lesson because it made me a better athlete. It gave me a chance to start anew with a fresh page. Like clean sheets and a fresh pillow, my build to Kona is about a new reality and planning for a day I want to have. Sounds simple? Well, you’d be surprised how many athletes plan for the day they fear, myself included.

Everyday since Ironman Canada, I have been laying the groundwork for a perfect day in Kona. I love this quote from one of my sports books, Mind Gym by Gary Mack - “Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Perform in the present.” This saying resonates with me since it takes into account experience, forecasting and the moment in time.

My attitude towards Kona is quite relaxed. With friends and family coming along, I will savor the experience and love everything the race and the island send my way. In all my recent training sessions, I have solely focusing on the process, my form and my strength as my body passes through the water, the wind and over the road. With each passing day, I feel more excited about the upcoming challenge and more ready to test all this wonderful fitness I am building. Each day has been another opportunity to practice my mental focus, hone in my cue words and paint my picture of a perfect race day.

September 30th was my last key training session. It was pouring rain outside so I took the session indoors to Innovative Fitness. My preparations for this key day started well before Sunday morning. On Friday, I reviewed the nutrition plan for a 4.5 hour Computrainer Session and a 50-minute treadmill run (broken into 2 phases of Bike-Run / Bike Run). In fact, it turned out to be a perfect opportunity to practice race day nutrition minus the swim and pain at the end of the marathon. Friday evening was purposefully restful. On Saturday, I rode easy with friends followed by a time consuming session of nutrition preparation for Sunday. Eight water bottles later, I calculate and assemble my salt and gels requirements. Once I knew I had everything measured, bottled and bagged, I put my legs up for the entire evening to watch Grey’s Anatomy repeats.

Sunday morning felt just like a race morning as I rehearsed my mental mantra and mustered up some serious physical strength for the day’s work. Breakfast came early, as did its digestion (thankfully). Once my supplies, dry clothes and recovery nutrition were packed, I rolled over to Innovative to begin the day. My set up was yet another perfect opportunity to practice process instead of the long day ahead. Step One: post power words to the wall for both the bike session and run sessions. Step Two: plant nutrition exactly where it would be needed and at what intervals. Step Three: turn inward for five and half hours and focus on the task at hand. With almost no breaks in the action, I pedaled and ran my way into more fitness and endurance than I had before the session but, more importantly, I stayed focused with a sense of calmness and resiliency.

What lies ahead are shorter sharpening workouts and rest. I know my body will be feeling more energized as the days move forward. My coach, Paul Cross, and I have worked out the plans for the last stretch both knowing that them most important thing is to visualize the day I want to have and fill my body with nutritious fuel to top up all the energy stores.

Share The Dream. Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment